GOP Trumped!

Donald Trump is taking heat from Republicans officials for his comments—but the controversy has only made him more defiant and pushed him to the top of national field among Republican primary voters, according to new polls released this week. Trump is surging in the polls and this has a lot of Republicans worried.

Trump comes in as the first choice of likely GOP primary voters in the latest national poll, conducted by USA Today and Suffolk University.

Donald Trump – 17%
Jeb Bush 3.0 – 14%
Scott Walker – 8%
Ted Cruz – 6%
Marco Rubio – 5%
Ben Carson – 4%
Rand Paul – 4%
Mike Huckabee – 4%
Chris Christie – 3%

The rest of the large GOP candidate field received less than 2 percent support each.

Trump also leads two other polls including the Fox News poll.

In all scenarios national Democrats can rejoice as a Trump-Clinton general election, with Hillary Clinton coming out far ahead. In a theoretical matchup, the GOP business tycoon trails Clinton by 17 points, 51 percent to 34 percent. She also leads all GOP presidential candidates by large margins.

While GOP party leaders are concerned about the consequences of the large size of the field of contenders and the surging popularity/power of Donald Trump – Republican voters are happy with Donald Trump and the large field of candidates.

The party insiders remember the long 2012 fight and the rotating flavor of the month as a host of all presidential hopefuls held the number 1 seat for at least a month during the battle for the GOP #1 position.

Then there is the matter of the number 1 GOP problem: Donald Trump. His remarks are toxic among Mexican-Americans, highly damaging and inflammatory among other Latinos, and unpopular among other minorities and white moderates. Overt racism or racial intolerance toward members of a group tend to inflame all minority groups; resulting with a profound negative impact.

Is there any good news for Republicans? Many Republican’s pray that Trump’s numbers will collapse and the novelty will wear off, and GOP voters, who hate Hillary Clinton, will come to their senses and vote for a more electable candidate. But, it is the mean spirited words of Trump that has fueled his growing popularity among Republicans. He is saying what they believe and that is scary.

Even more alarming is that Trump is receiving all the attention and sucking all the air out of the GOP room. It does not advance the GOP cause with the general election more than 15 months away. Many in the GOP field may be wiped out before they even get a chance to be heard if Trump does well in early primaries. There is also the hellish GOP possibility that Trump will run as an independent candidate and become the ultimate spoiler. His celebrity status is the asset that has become like oxygen for him while removing oxygen for the remaining GOP field. As Trump gains support and climbs in the polls, other candidates are not being heard and face defeat before the race even begins.

Even if the Trump nonsense ends, how will the Republican nomination race sort out? What damage will Trump reap on the GOP before his nonsense ends? The GOP civil war continues: 60% are conventional mainstream Republicans, while the other 40 percent are of a somewhat more wing-nut fringe. The wing-nut fringe group consists of three subgroups: tea-party activists, secular, and anti-establishment and these groups fuel the Trump bubble and will have an even stronger impact on the selection of the GOP presidential candidate.




Leave a Reply